Friday 22 August 2014

HOW TO CHOOSE A VEGAN FRIENDLY TRAVEL DESTINATION


There is a lovely simple exercise that takes just a few minutes, it will give you some holiday decision making clarity so make sure you keep reading all the way through.



You want to go on holiday. 

You want your holiday to be vegan friendly. 
You’ve booked time off work and that holiday feeling (the one that has you running out to buy those cute travel sized bottles of shampoo) has set in and then you realise that you actually need to decide where to go, hmmm.
Half a packet of biscuits and a few hours of surfing the web later and you're left
wondering:
"How on earth do I choose a vegan friendly travel destination"?

A few years ago I was back in the UK, it was November and I'm not a lover of
the cold, or rain, or any kind of adverse weather conditions, at all. 
I  was staying with friends who had a charming wooden chalet that was literally, on top of a hill in the middle of a field, tucked into the deepest darkest depths of the British countryside, and I had no car. November in the UK can be, if I'm going to be honest, a bit bleak, it was time for a holiday.

I was feeling cold, somewhat uninspired and I wanted to experience; wonderful vegan food, sunshine,  a completely different culture, the adrenaline rush of doing some off road motorbike riding alongside the peacefulness of hiking in the mountains.


The next day I was on a plane to Marrakech, Morocco, sorted. I had a lovely trip,(I was still there three months later) and it fitted all the requirements I had at that time. After you have worked your way through the logistics of your holiday, what your budget is, how much time you have, whether to go abroad or stay closer to home, grab a pen and paper and fill in the blanks:


I'm feeling  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
And I want to experience _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

Holidays provide a beautiful and often much needed break in routine, travel rewards you with the time and space for clarity of mind allowing you to reconnect with your values and sense of purpose, new experiences begin to make you feel nourished and memories made become stories shared down the line.
While I think about it, stories are the building blocks for cultural identity, change and growth but I won't rave on about that now as I appreciate you probably just want to sit on a beach sipping on an obviously vegan, possibly virgin margarita.


On my trip to Morocco I had an experience, (when to keep your underwear on and when to take it all off) which deserves a whole blog post to itself, but that heart stopping, hilarious moment is now a beautiful travel tale, a memory made and an important cultural lesson learnt that has been shared at many a dinner party.
Reality check; I must be honest here, I don't really go to dinner parties, I was referring more to the future Emma, the Emma that I believe will go to dinner parties looking elegant in a black dress with a slick and sophisticated hairstyle, in reality the story mentioned above has been told many times, in cheap and cheerful tapas bars in Spain, in coffee shops in Guatemala, at various airports throughout the world and at my mums house in the UK, I would not have been wearing  a black dress in any of these situations so please, feel free to invite me to a dinner party and I'll showcase the Morocco story.
After you have down the above exercise, you can start jotting down destinations that suit your present needs and requirements, shortly followed by the purchase of tiny travel sized bottles of shampoo, happy vegan friendly holidays!

OVER TO YOU                                                                                                    
I would love to hear what you are looking to experience on your next holiday, leave a comment below and let me know.
If you liked this post and feel it would be of interest to your friends and family then please share using the social media links below, lets get vegan travel on the map!

OCTOBER EXPERIENCES

Experience the elements and learn how to make vegan friendly traditional Spanish cuisine on Octobers 4 day micro adventure, read more about this trip, Cook and kayak here >>>

Emma x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, share your thoughts, comments and words of vegan wisdom here!